Monday, July 12, 2010

Cabin Recap and Colors of the Wind Salsa (my first recipe!!)

This weekend was everything I dreamed of and more.

I ate my body weight in ice cream, hamburgers, baked beans, pasta salads, delicious Chex Mix, corn nuts, cucumber salads, and most importantly my Colors of the Wind salsa (recipe below!)

I literally spent every moment of the weekend eating something. It. Was. Awesome. Because, duh, I love food. SO MUCH.

I arrived Friday afternoon at about 4pm. We drank Firefly Sweet Tea Vodka and lemonade. Like I said in my previous post - this is the perfect summer drink. The vodka is 35% alcohol by volume, when regular vodka is 40% - so you don't lose any of the kick. It's a little sweet and syrupy alone, but with the acidity of the lemonade, it's delightful. It tastes like juice, you guys!
Golf cart rides!

Sweet Tea Vodka!

Plaid shirts!

Saturday, we hung out by the pool and grilled and (most of us) hid from some short thunderstorms. Mike didn't, and consequently, he was damp for the remainder of the time we were there.
More plaid!

Rain!
(I feel like they belong in Appalachia.)

HEADLAMPS.

For this glorious event, I made salsa. I've made salsa in the past, but it's always just been a simple tomato salsa, so I wanted to mix it up. I browsed through The Pioneer Woman, and tastepotting.com, but nothing struck my fancy. I want this salsa to have beans (OMG, I am on a HUGE bean kick), so I did a little Googling, and came up with a Paula Deen recipe, and tweaked it a little. I have since re-named it: Color of the Wind Salsa, because once all the ingredients are added, it's a beautiful RAINBOWWWWWWWWW.............

Colors of the Wind Salsa
Ingredients

2 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
1 orange bell pepper, diced*
3 ears sweet corn, cut off the cob**
1 large avocado (not too ripe), peeled and diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely diced
chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained (Well, they look kind of blue)
1 red onion, diced
Juice of 2 limes
A splash red wine vinegar, to add more liquid
1 whole SALSA seasoning packet (found at most grocery stores, any will do)

Directions
Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Taste and add salt, pepper, lime juice, vinegar as necessary.
Cover and chill overnight, and make sure to taste again before serving, the flavors will have mated overnight.
Serve with tortilla chips!

This recipes was RIDICULOUSLY easy and can be adjusted based on your taste. I started feeling crazy and throwing pinches of different spices but, you couldn't taste them in the final product. It was delicious and we actually had to put it away after 10 minutes because it was almost gone.

*I didn't add an orange pepper this time, but I plan to based ENTIRELY on color.
**I regret this decision - Paula calls for frozen corn, and I absolutely will do this next time. Cutting fresh corn off the cob is a RIDICULOUS pain in the ass
.

It disappeared in 20 minutes...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails