Wednesday, July 1, 2009

House Hunting

House hunting is really sad when you're poor.

Monday, Mike and I went to go look at houses for the first time, and I was tickled pink. Nervous, but excited. But once we got through two houses and realized what we could afford, I became really depressed, dudes.

It's not to say that these houses are complete dumps or anything, it's just that they aren't what I expected. I sound like a brat, but it has been truly difficult to pretend that the house we're viewing isn't a hideous shade of brown, or the kitchen counter is less then perfect. I need to make sure I focus on the "bones" of the house - furnace, air conditioning, roof, basement - because all the cosmetic stuff can be changed. So far that has been hard for me, but I'm sure it will get easier.

Mike has been the bastion of optimism, and I'm been the abyss of pessimism. I think it is starting to take a toll on him. I really need to buck up.

We're going again tonight. We plan to see 6 houses, most of them are in a lower price bracket, and are foreclosed. Maybe we'll get lucky?

1 comment:

  1. So how was the cute house in Algonquin you were excited about?

    I know what you mean about getting depressed from looking at houses. Jordan and I are going through the same thing....possibly having to scrap the house in Huntley and starting over :(

    Did you see any good ones tonight?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails