Sunday, January 23, 2011

New floors! New stairs! New paint!

We're getting new floors installed in the house!

We moved in to this little townhouse in October 2009. The house was in great condition, and we got it for a song. But one of the most awful things about it was the flooring. The carpet and linoleum flooring were 17 years old. The carpet had a nice gray walk pattern and bewildering red stains that looked like deep, dark rust. They changed and grew every time we washed it. The kitchen had the linoleum that was chipping. The design on the linoleum had indented stripes that held onto dirt and grime, and after 17 years there was just NO removing it.

So, FINALLY we found the flooring we wanted, and someone who could install it. And this weekend was what I've called "Demolition Weekend" We spent all day yesterday, with the help of my mom and sister, emptying the room of all our possessions, moving ALL our furniture to the garage and tearing up the carpet.

On top of that, I've always wondered what our stairs looked like under the carpet. So, once we were almost done, we started pulling edges of the carpet up just to peek, and what we found was AMAZING. Well constructed stairs, with rounded edges and a proper nose (or lip, or whatever).

Unfortunately, I didn't take any full BEFORE pictures, but I DID take some "in-progress" pictures.
Today, we finish clean up, make sure every last thing has been emptied from the 1st floor, and keep pulling out staples on the stairs. If I have my way, I'm going to start sanding ASAP.

On top of that, we have a painter coming today to give us a quote to have our living room/stairway painted. We have gigantor ceilings and there's no way Mike and I could have done it without dying.

The floors are being installed Monday-Thursday and I CANNOT WAIT until I can see the finished product. And to have the 30 boxes of Pergo gone.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails