Friday, March 13, 2009

WTF?

So I guess good news has to be tempered with bad news.

Good News:
Yesterday afternoon I got an phone call from Roosevelt University. I was accepted to their College of Education (pending a passing score on my Basic Skills Test). So, YAY! I need to call their admissions department to meet with an adviser and go over my previous coursework. This will determine whether I am accepted to their Fast Track Program (16 months, weekends and online classes, I finish with a Master's, close to my house) or their traditional program (2 years, evenings, in Chicago - too far).

If I don't get accepted into the Fast Track program, I think I need to go to another school. I can't commute to Chicago in the evenings. I won't make it to classes on time, and I won't get home until like 10pm.

Fortunately, there's another program...but I've put off applying because it requires a LOT more work that I don't want to do, unless I have to. Sigh.

I don't particularly want my Master's, but this program really works for me and my situation. Hopefully I'll be able to get a job with it. Sigh. I've got a lot of time, so I'll worry about that later.

Bad News:
So, today Mike was informed that they're cutting hours at his work. He's now only going to work 4 days a week. Cool for getting a day off, but suuuuuuuucks because he's only getting paid for those 4 days. This puts a cramp in our housing plans. Like a big one.

I get paid peanuts at my job, but now, we make about the same (if my calculations are correct). Great.

So that's that I mean, it's not a HUGE inconvenience (OK, it is).

There go my dreams of having a cell phone with a QWERTY keyboard. Or a beautiful dress for Anthropologie. I can't justify spending that much money on nonessentials.

I guess you could say I'm pretty bummed.
Sorry to be a downer, dudes.

On top of all this - I hate my hair and the outfit I chose to wear. I feel really sloppy today. And the tacky ring I'm wearing is turning my finger green.
It just keeps getting better.

2 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry to hear these things! I hope your college works with you in the fast track. But on the bright side of things nothing too much bad has happened with Mike's job.. (knock on wood!)

    My wishes are with you... all the best!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Total bummers :(

    I sent you an e-mail

    I know what it's like to live on a bare bones budget. Jordan and I have been living on one for the last 2 months. No going out to eat, no extra spending AT ALL! Everything is revolving around saving for the house. It might not seem like it, but it really pays off.

    You want to be a baker...be a baker. You only live once!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails